National Birth Defects Prevention Month
The NBDPN Education and Outreach Committee has developed materials and resources to assist state program staff and others interested in promoting birth defects prevention during 'January is Birth Defects Prevention Month'.
The theme for 2015 is "Making Healthy Choices to Prevent Birth Defects - Make a PACT for Prevention." NBDPN’s goal for 2015 is to continue to increase awareness that birth defects are “Common, Costly and Critical” and to offer actionable steps that can be taken by professionals, community groups, and the public to prevent birth defects.
The complete 2015 packet is available here.
January 4th - 10th is Folic Acid Awareness Week! Click here for additional information, resources and educational materials regarding folic acid.
Prior Birth Defects Prevention Month Materials
Each year, the committee selects a theme to highlight a specific risk factor or defect. Previously used brochures and fact sheets are available to non-members for the preceding three years. These resources can be used at any time. All additional prior years are available to members as part of the file archive:
2014: Birth Defects are Common, Costly, and Critical
2013: Birth Defects are Common, Costly, and Critical
2012: And the Beat Goes On...Looking to the Future for Healthy Hearts
Additional Birth Defects Prevention Materials
- 10 things you should know about birth defects (English, Spanish )
- 5 things you should know about congenital heart defects (English/Spanish )
- Birth Defects Prevention Pamphlet (English )
- Birth Defects Prevention Pamphlet (Spanish )
- Birth Defects Prevention Month Poster: January is BDPM (English/Spanish )
- Birth Defects Prevention Month Poster: Now is the time (English/Spanish )
Infections and Immunizations